Friday, February 18, 2011

Prayer | Days 1-10

Upon finishing Foster's chapter on prayer I realized how many aspects of prayer he touched on. It seemed too simple and like he had a lot more to say but didn't have the space. I'm re-skimming the chapter because I felt like I barely grasped what he was saying. I also started writing this blog 7 days ago and it just didn't work. And then another 3 days ago. Again, I wasn't seeing a common theme to my thoughts. I was skipping around to all the major points Foster made on prayer and couldn't settle on what it was I needed to grasp. There was too much and not enough.

I love prayer and feel like God's power has been revealed to me and those close to me numerous times through prayer. I feel as if He stands next to me when I pray and my faith is somehow strengthened through prayer. Foster hit it on the nose when he says that "To pray is to change. Prayer is the central avenue God uses to transform us." When I look back on my life, I see this is true. It was while in prayer, through the testimony of another's prayer or in answered prayer that God made the biggest changes in me. So I pray not to receive, but to change so that I may work with God in his will. Once my will is changed to His, I then can pray rightly.

A particular thought in this chapter stood out to me about praying for others with expectation. In Foster's personal study of prayer he found that no where in the Bible did Christ or any of the apostles or prophets say at the end of their prayers, "If it be Thy will." They seemed to pray with assurance that they knew God's will when praying for others. They were so in tune with the workings of the Holy Spirit that when they encountered a need in someone they knew what it was they could boldly ask the Lord for.

Sounds amazing. I am sometimes too quick to pray and see a need in myself to learn to quiet my flesh and listen first for what God is doing. When I ask I do not want to ask in doubt, but with assurance. But I don't think I can do that unless I know I'm listening to God or am in tune with His movement. I feel God calling me to a deeper place with Him. In fact I've felt Him calling me there for a long time. It's a place where I am in constant communion with him and I leave my whole self behind as I walk with Him moment by moment. It seems impossible to me and my mind so easily strays that I doubt I can ever submit to that extent. Only He can change me and make me a person of stillness and focus. I've experienced one day in my life where I felt that closeness of walking with Him and it was enough to make me want that forever. It was a true miracle for my mind to be so still and connected with His movements at the young age of 16. I woke up and new something was different. I knew God was asking me to be quiet and listen to Him. I don't know how I did except that He asked it of me and I agreed. Maybe it is that simple.

This discipline of prayer is a little more intimidating of a discipline than meditation. And there are no clear specific ways to practice it. I think it's a different learning experience for everyone and for me I sense God calling me to listen and be still before I ask. And I also see a need to pray more for others throughout the day in my encounters. I am excited about what God teaches me about prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment